Tuesday, January 22, 2008

(28th Entry) Thoughts on the last two entries…

I’ve been thinking about the last two entries since writing them. I remember my Mom having a very difficult time trying to reason with me or at least getting me to calm down even a little at the amusement park. She was out of luck that day. I don’t think anyone or anything could have settled me down that day. I was absolutely livid… and probably out of control.

On both days I was extremely upset. What were the differences? One is that the driver’s license was a finite event. I wanted my driver’s license and went there with that specific purpose. Also the fact that it was a legal setting might have something to do with it.

At the amusement park there were many things going on. I was proactive when arriving to the park. I met with the manager on duty. I had an idea of what might happen that day. When I did get removed from rides it was as if I had done the “right thing” and was still suffering consequences.

More importantly, these were rides that I had ridden all of my life. There were no knew rides that I had never ridden. Something was being taken away from me. Not only was something being taken away, but I had done my best to prepare for it.

I was also almost five years older, 21, the day that the amusement park incident took place. Now in most people’s minds that probably translate as… I should have been more mature, but… For me, I was probably more confused and angry at this point in life. I was in the middle of that struggle of being the same and different. I didn’t have any idea what I was going to do with my life and how I was ultimately going to survive on my own.

I recall the attorney from the park the next day basically telling me to sue them if I didn’t like what had happened to me. There was no ADA in 1981 so the legal issue was probably a little more obscure.

Unfortunately even at the time I probably realized that if two people had been injured on a ride equally while sitting next to each and had I been one of them… I probably could have elicited a greater settlement than a “normal” individual. A good attorney could have played “the sympathy card” and probably made out quit well.

Right or wrong this is a fact of life. As much as I want to be the same there will always be some differences. Some positive, some negative!

What is the “right way” to act in these situations? I think ultimately it has to be up to each individual. As for me, I wish that I had been a little more in control at the amusement park. By being out of control, I didn’t accomplish anything. I caused a lot of anguish for my family and for myself.

Did I have a right to be upset? Should I have been upset? Absolutely!

It becomes that old question… How do I fight for what I want and yet maintain my own integrity?

No comments: