Wednesday, January 30, 2008

(30th Entry) Drums… continued from Entry 29

Today I flew to New York and needless to say, if you’ve read the blog you know that I love New York. There’s always a feeling of anticipation, energy and wonderment. New York always makes me think! Think about me, my life, what am I doing? I tend to reflect upon life when I’m in that “New York state of mind.”

Life is interesting… at least mine is! What am I doing with my life? What is the purpose of my life?

As I was on the plane I asked myself, “Why did I teach myself to play the snare drum?” I was young. Was there really a reason? I liked to bang on things. Lots of kids do. It had to be the challenge. An inner challenge, because no one was asking me to learn or saying I couldn’t… at least as far as I remember. It was a challenge. Could I do it? I wanted to know? I wanted to figure out if I could.

I never went on to play more than just the snare drum. I know my snare drum teacher discouraged my parent’s from purchasing a complete set of drums. He felt I couldn’t do it. Of course most people figured I probably couldn’t play the snare drum either.

I knew I could play the snare drum and play it well enough to be competitive for my age. It’s like kids playing sports of any kind… competitive for their age and then one day they’re not.

If I had really wanted to play or had ever figured out a way with confidence that I could play the complete set of drums, I’m sure that I would have and would have had a set of my own. This I’m pretty confident of. I never really figured it out though. Or... maybe I just got bored and didn’t want to go any farther.

It’s much like the reason I went into corporate life. It was to prove something to myself, to know something for myself. Once I had my answer, it lost all of its allure.

There’s an interesting combination of proving to myself, proving to others and finding out if I have a passion for it.

No comments: