Thursday, May 15, 2008

(57th Entry) Crap in, Crap out… Good Luck, Bad Luck!

Things happen in life. We’ve experienced many unexpected problems… potential problems, interruptions, etc. in our attempt to do the things we’re trying to accomplish. We used to have a saying in corporate life… crap in crap out… if you have bad input you get bad output. You make decisions based on the information that you’re given. When you’re given bad information you make bad decisions. It’s that simple.

We’re in the middle of building a new factory. I was given some very bad information and I made some very important decisions based in this information in regards to building the factory or moving to a new location. There’s no reason to go into all of the details. Needless to say it’s frustrating!

It’s always easy to blame everyone else when things happen to us in life. In this case I could and sometimes do, but this is business. Business is business. I should have had several quotes before making any decision, but I didn’t. I trusted one person. I made a bad decision. I have to live with the consequences.

Building a building is much like dealing with a disability. You get the best advice, consultation and then you have to make your own decisions. You then live with those decisions… the consequences.

Almost twenty years ago some very good friends of mine called to ask me questions about a decision that they were about to make regarding their daughter. They were making a decision to have an operation that could have life long consequences. There were no clear cut answers and the results were not completely known. It seemed… this is the clue… What seemed logical, intuitively correct… is! Sometimes this is what you have to go on,, all you have to go on.

We make decisions in life based on the information that we have. Sometimes we have to make decisions for others. In those cases we and they must live with the consequences. Twenty years later everyone looks back at that operation and concludes it was a great decision. But what if it wasn’t? Everything has consequences… positive or negative.

I’ve had to make decisions that I’ve had to live with that those close to me didn’t necessarily agree with or even really understand why I was making them. Sometimes we make decisions and things happen that we didn’t imagine would happen. Sometimes there are good unexpected results.

I haven’t found the good unexpected results in the factory debacle yet… but I’m looking.

No comments: