Sunday, June 8, 2008

(61st Entry) Political Correctness… not me!

The other day I had two people visit my factory to check on working conditions. They are part of a major corporation in the U.S. I believe they were very impressed with our facilities. I know that I feel very good about them.

BUT… It started me thinking… Always a dangerous thing! About art imitating life, about going to far, about imposing our will on others, about many things including political correctness…

Before in my blog I’ve alluded to how we’ve gone so far in corporate culture and our society in terms of political correctness that we can’t even ask questions to another person in order that we might be able to understand them better. If we understand them better then it seems reasonable that we can work with them better. But we’re taught, told and insisted not to ask questions.

I also began thinking about the apprentice system. A system of teaching which a student studied with a master for a number of years in order to learn a trade. Knowledge was handed down from one person to another… Parent’s to their children often starting at a young age. It is a system of learning that has all but disappeared from the U.S. culture.

As I said above I was thinking about art imitating life. I’ve often said that the movie RAINMAN with Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise struck a cord in the U.S. because it personified what many people felt at the time and still do… that the world is changing so rapidly and that there’s just a limited amount that we can comprehend. Our senses are overwhelmed.

My good friend Mike used to quote a line… “I would rather live in the greater world of confusion than the smaller worlds of certainty.” Or would you rather live in the greater world of certainty than the smaller world of confusion? To me… The latter is the definition of FUNDAMENTALIST! The problem is that when we live in that larger world of certainty and we have a crisis… the crisis is magnified thousands of times! (Quote unknown and might not be exact…)

Last night I had a dream… it dawned on me that the show… THE APPRENTICE, produced by Donald Trump and Mark Burnett was again capturing a sentiment that had been lost in the U. S. culture. This desire to be mentored by someone… in this case Donald Trump… the opportunity to learn and have career… to be passed the secrets to success… to feel secure. THEN… in my dream it dawned on me that Donald Trump should do an Apprentice show with all disabled individuals. I have no idea if this is happening, if I might have heard it or… Can you imagine Donald Trump doing a season with only disabled individuals? Can you imagine what kind of impact that this could have for the disabled community? I say do it just like any other Apprentice Season… Let The Donald be The Donald!

No comments: