Sunday, June 29, 2008

(63rd Entry) Continuation of Entry 62…

In reference to the comments on Entry 62, the conclusion of the doctors that I worked with back in 1984 was that my problems were not caused by thalidomide. In addition, my mother was not prescribed thalidomide during her pregnancy or had access. Question for another time... but what if... ? (Referred to at the end of this entry... )

Also, I’m 48 years old and have exhibited none of the symptoms which you describe for those in middle age. Also I have none of the internal symptoms that were associated with thalidomide which was one of the factors that led to the conclusion above.

As stated in the previous entry the professional’s conclusion was that I fit into a category called Moebius Syndrome…

I find your comments intriguing and appreciate you putting them out for others to read.

I have always been one that thinks we spend too much time changing words to change attitudes. For instance, the word crippled was used which eventually changed to handicapped which eventually became physically challenged… However I am struck by the phrase “Thalidomide Monster”

I think it’s very important for us to understand who we are and what problems we have or will have, however in earlier blog articles I talk about Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. One of the things that I am trying to focus on in my blog are those things which bring us together, unite disabled individuals. These are the things that I think can bring us as a group to a point where we might find it easier to accomplish our goals. While I think it’s important that people unite with a common issue as the Moebius Syndrome foundation has or groups focusing on thalidomide… I also think it’s important that we unite at a higher level. A level that brings together all types of disabilities in that we might see what we have in common as opposed to our differences. Read entry 53/52… for more info.

I don’t want to ever minimize anyone’s reality, what they’re experiencing, but at the same time I want to maximize what we have in common… that we’re all struggling, dealing with the issue of disability. Once we go beyond the physical, we have much more in common that what separates us… both as a group of individuals and in the world at large.

Again a question... what if I am a thalidomide baby? Other than answering cause and effect and giving me information about my body as I age... What are the broader implications in how I would live my life today?

Once we know what our condition is and we’ve begun to deal with the reality of our condition… what’s next? What kind of life do we want to live? What do we want to do with our lives? Do we want to go forward… ? Do we want to live in anger and blame? These are the questions that I want to address. I think there are those who go forward with life and those who “surrender to hopelessness”.

What do I want to spend my energy on today? This seems to me to be my question. Once I've done those physical tasks, met those physical needs each day... What then?

Life is a duality… I find it sad when I read some of the information that you mentioned about the problems that individuals are having as they age with thalidomide… it’s tragic! I also find it a strange irony that thalidomide is being used again today to treat certain diseases and problems… AIDS being one of them.

I would really like to know more about you and continue a dialogue.

I have a feeling I’ll be writing more about this issue. I think this might be a good time to begin talking about causes, blame, guilt, anger, responsibility, questioning why... All of the things that go along with being involved in the issue of disability... whether one is born with one, becomes disabled, has a family member who is...

Keep the comments coming….

2 comments:

Ivo Cerckel said...

Tuesday, April 8, 2008
(52nd Entry) What is a disability? In words…
SNIP
I’ve talked before about Abraham Maslow and his hierarchy of needs. Once we begin to take care of those basic needs… food, clothing, security… What’s next? Those higher needs… belongingness/love… self esteem… and ultimately self actualization.

Thursday, April 10, 2008
(53rd Entry) Twenty years ago I wrote…
SNIP
Again, using Maslow’s hierarchy of needs… It seems to me that legislation is most effective for those lower needs… the “biological and physical needs”, “safety needs” and even “belongingness and love needs”. What about the higher needs… Esteem Needs and Self Actualization? You can’t legislate these needs either for disabled individuals or non-disabled individuals.

Sunday, June 29, 2008
(63rd Entry) Continuation of Entry 62…
SNIP
I think it’s very important for us to understand who we are and what problems we have or will have, however in earlier blog articles I talk about Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.

Nathaniel Branden,
”The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem”.,
New York, Bantam Books, 1994, p. 22
In Abraham Maslow’s famous “hierarchy of needs” he places self-esteem ‘above’ (that is, as coming after) core survival needs such as for food and water, and there is one obvious sense in which this is valid. At the same time, it is a misleading oversimplification. People sometimes relinquish life itself in the name of issues crucial to their self-esteem. And surely his belief that being ‘accepted’ is a more basic need than self-esteem must also be challenged.
The basic fact remains that self-esteem is an urgent need. It proclaims itself as such by virtue of the fact that its (relative) absence impairs our ability to function. This is why we say it has survival value. END OF QUOTE

If you have time, read (sections 63-74) of my postings under
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Thalidomide; On-Going
http://ktelontour.blogspot.com/2008/04/thalidomide-on-going.html

As a child, my physical integrity has been complete negated by prostheses and other hooks.
Born 1962. Six weeks of coma in 1970 due to hook. Three more days of coma in 1982 after learning of thalidomide. Don’t tell me, self-esteem comes only as an afterthought. Self-esteem is more important than the basic needs.

If you are have more time, read my previous postings:

sections 1 – 27 are under
http://ktelontour.blogspot.com/2008/03/were-not-alwayslighthearted.html

sections 28- 36 are under
http://ktelontour.blogspot.com/2008/04/more-on-thalidomide.html

sections 37 – 52 are under
http://ktelontour.blogspot.com/2008/04/thalidomide-facts.html

The links again

http://ktelontour.blogspot.com/
2008/04/thalidomide-on-going.html

http://ktelontour.blogspot.com/
2008/03/were-not-always-
lighthearted.html

http://ktelontour.blogspot.com/
2008/04/more-on-thalidomide.html

http://ktelontour.blogspot.com/
2008/04/thalidomide-facts.html



THE BEST OF THE LINKS
quoted at
http://ktelontour.blogspot.com/
2008/04/thalidomide-on-going.html

73.
The real-life torture, euhr murder, tool(s).

http://hugo-sb.way-nifty.com/
hugo_sb/2008/05/child_thalidomi.
html

You don't believe me?

http://hugo-sb.way-nifty.com/hugo_sb/2008/05/child_thalidomi.html

==

Basic needs, said Maslow?

Ivo Cerckel said...

Monsters have a need for TRUTH,
truth being adequation between the thing and the intellect,
said Thomas Aquinas.

Monsters have no need for legislation,
(legislation has NEVER achieved anything)


http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Monster
mon•ster –noun
1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. ANY animal or HUMAN GROTESQUELY DEVIATING FROM THE NORMAL SHAPE, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. Biology.
a. an animal or plant of abnormal form or structure, as from marked malformation or the absence of certain parts or organs.
b. a grossly anomalous fetus or infant, esp. one that is not viable.

7. anything unnatural or monstrous.
–adjective
8. huge; enormous; monstrous: a monster tree.

[Origin: 1250–1300; ME monstre < L mōnstrum portent, unnatural event, monster, equiv. to mon(ére) to warn + -strum n. suffix ]