Saturday, September 6, 2008

(71st Entry) Why I do…

Recently I was asked, “Why do you do the things that you’re doing?” I ask myself this question quit often as well. I most often ask on days when things are difficult and seem almost impossible.

Then there are days that surprise me and all my doubts subside and the reason that I do what I do is simply obvious…

We had a birthday party last Friday. We opened our Mexican office three years ago. We started with six employees. In those days the parties were quiet. Not these days… with twenty-four employees, we had someone playing a guitar and lots of folks singing. It was a joyous event… at least for me… and I think for Mary as well.

It’s one of those events where you’re glad you have hot, spicy food, so that people don’t realize that those are tears of joy and elation.

We’ve worked so hard and sometimes lose sight of our true reason for doing what we’re doing. I gave Mary a ride home that night and said to her, “you have to be proud of what happened today.” She readily acknowledged and agreed that we had created something special. Even a week later as I write this, I find myself emotional. We have 24 people, 8 of whom are disabled and yet there were just 24 employees sharing in a party… not 8 and 16… but 24.

Of course a week has gone by and all the stress of work, of running factories and operating in a bad economy weighs heavily so… It's nice to look back

And now a few pictures...


This is Juan... Our Grabado muestro... It was his biurthday this month as well... He a great individual. When Mary and I first approached him about teaching... He said absolutely not. He had good reasons, but today he is as commited to the dream as Mary and I. And of course Krispy...

No comments: