Sunday, December 23, 2007

(15th Entry) What motivates people?

What motivates me? What is motivation to me? Motivation happens over time. I’m not driven “to do” at all times even when I have something that I want to accomplish. There are times that I get excited and may be do a little more, but over-all I do things a little at a time.

Deadlines motivate me. That’s why I say when I’m going to post my next entry. I’ve always said I do my best work under pressure. Actually, it might not be my best work, sometimes it’s the only work.

In my mission statement I say that I want to do motivational speeches. So often I see motivational speakers trying to motivate people by getting them excited, making them feel…

Sometimes I go somewhere and think that I’m getting motivated only to leave feeling empty. Excitement only lasts so long. It’s easy for me to feel motivated and good about myself when I’m around others. Real motivation for me comes when I’m alone and still feel as if I need or want to accomplish something.

Where does this desire to do or accomplish come from? Usually, for me, it comes from this little nagging voice deep within me. It serves as a little reminder in subtle ways that I want to do something. Sometimes it takes time for me to even recognize that it’s something important to me. For instance, many of the items in my mission statement have been dreams of mine for 30 years or even longer.

What helps me begin to act on this motivation? Sometimes it’s just a simple comment from someone. Other times it an uncontrollable urge. Usually it’s a slow process that in hindsight developed one little piece at a time.

I guess for me motivation comes from understanding the pieces. My life has been a series of segments… each segment building upon the last. I don’t have some master plan for my life. My life is a lot like this blog… unconsciously it just seems to go from one point to the next… naturally.

When I say I want to do motivational speaking, it’s not that I want to go out and get people excited. Maybe by looking at their lives using the issue of disability as a metaphor people might be able to piece the pieces of their lives together with a little different perspective.

Getting a new perspective motivates me! Being able to look at situations differently motivates me! That’s a different type of excitement than… look at what I’ve done or what I can do or making people feel…

Back when I interviewed for jobs I used to sell the idea that having a disability and having to do things a little differently helped me “think out of the box” naturally. It gave me a fresh perspective on old problems. I believe this is true. The only problem is that most people are more comfortable with the familiar. As much as we say we want to change, think out of the box… the truth is…

No comments: