Tuesday, February 12, 2008

(33rd Entry) I wonder…

In Entry 31 I mentioned that I was reading a book called BLINK by Malcolm Gladwell. It’s been an enlightening read. The subtitle is The Power of Thinking Without Thinking. It’s a book about how we make decisions. I also just mentioned in a brief entry prior to this that ABC News says that 44% of disabled individuals in the U.S. are unemployed.

While reading BLINK, I read about how prior to 50 years ago or so auditions for symphonies were held where the judges, maestros could see the person auditioning. Women made up less than 5% of members of symphonies. It was thought that women just couldn’t play as well as men for many reasons. When auditions began being done where the person auditioning was behind screens many more women were chosen… now approximately 50%. The person’s bias or pre-conceived notions were eliminated and only the sound of the music counted.

I wonder if job interviews were conducted in much the same manner if the number of disabled individuals hired would improve?

No comments: