Wednesday, February 27, 2008

(39th Entry) In search of a new direction, a deeper level…

In the last two entries I’ve struggled a bit. I wasn’t clear on my direction, but as so often happens this morning it came to me… an intuition of sorts. The last entry as I thought about it, pointed me towards this new direction.

“Where to, What Next”

I want to begin to talk about what gives me meaning (which I’ve done to a degree), where it came from and how it relates to my goals. In other words, I want to begin to express my philosophy of life and more importantly the issue of disability.

In the high school class that I’ve talked about, Man and His Environment, I did four major projects in two years. These were oral projects on subjects that I had picked and had been approved by the teacher and then presented to the class. To this day they all have meaning in my life and have influenced my interests, curiosities and direction. And then there was college… And then there was Corporate America… And many, many things in between!

Summation of the four basic topics:
• On Death and Dying
• Parenting the Disabled
• How Art (Creativity) enhances Education
• The Reconciliation of Science and Religion (controversial to many)

College
• Psychology… Jungian, Archetypal, Phenomenology and Mythological studies
• Family Systems

All of these areas have influenced me to this day. They are intertwined with my experiences and have definitely influenced me in many ways.

Out of this:

• Show how all of these topics and adventures fit into and influence what I’m trying to do today.
• How they relate to the issue of disability, my life and how they might have meaning for others as well.

I’m going to try to do all of this without being to “quasi-intellectual” or perhaps cerebral might be a better word.

Then…

I want to begin to talk about the different audiences that I’m trying to reach both within and outside the disabled community.

A partial list:
1 Disabled individuals
2 Families involved with the issue of disability
3 Professional and helping community that support disabled individuals
4 Those that are not labeled or perceived as disabled… to heighten awareness of this issue as stated in the Mission Statement
5 Corporations: integrating disabled individuals into the workplace

As so often with this blog, it’s an adventure. This blog is a place for me to get my ideas out, in writing for others to digest and hopefully respond.

Stay tuned! We’ll see where it goes from here.

No comments: