Monday, November 24, 2008

(80th Entry) My Father, My Friend… continued!


May 1, 1928… November 22, 2008

This picture was taken last December when my whole family spent several days in Troncones, Mexico on the Pacific Coast. It was in celebration of my parent’s 50th wedding anniversary. He had just received a new defibrillator a month earlier in Texas and just a few days after the picture had severe complications where he almost suffered a stroke. (I won’t go into the reasons this happened… now it just doesn’t matter now!)

These past few weeks while extremely difficult have been a spiritual adventure of the kind that I have never experienced.

There were so many things that have happened that I will remember for the remainder of my life… One of the most amazing moments was the very moment that my Dad died… My parent’s have a dog named Sabrina who loves both of them very much. She stayed with my Dad these past weeks with great concern and care. BUT… at the very moment he died she was again at his side. She got off the bed quickly, ran into the hall and barked several times. Sabrina doesn’t bark in the house… she talks which is like a howl, but this time she barked six times.

What ever your beliefs are… It just confirms to me that a spirit exists and that the body is just a body. Sabrina felt what was happening! She responded! We all responded.

I have never been present at the moment of death. I thought that it would be strange, uncomfortable, but it was just the opposite. We watched as my Dad suffered these past few weeks and yet when he died it was so peaceful. He simply went to sleep. These past few weeks while being in pain he looked so uncomfortable and contorted. Immediately upon dying he looked relaxed and at peace. He died in his own home, in his own bed, with his family and his animals.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Charlie for sharing so much of yourself with all of us who read it. It's a joy to know you.

Dara

Jody A. Lee said...

Charlie: I love that you are writing to express your feelings about Errol. You will look back on these writings in the years to come and it will give you comfort to read them. Know that I thought your Dad was a great man - so giving and gracious and funny - I really enjoyed be a "part of the family" when we were in Patzcuaro. They were so welcoming and I have great memories spending time with your family celebrating life. Your parents have always been good at living life to the fullest while you can ('cause you never know what may happen). That's how I like to live my life too. Farewell to Errol - Rest In Peace. Love to you. Jody Alcott Lee