Tuesday, November 27, 2007

(3rd Entry) All we know is our own reality…

Let me begin with… This is my memory of this event.

Once many years ago I was leading a support group for disabled individuals. On this particular day there were approximately 10 to 12 people in the room. The first person that shared had one arm that had been paralyzed from a gun shot accident. He shared about his accident and his life since the accident. After speaking he had a legitimate reason for leaving. We continued the meeting, one person after another sharing. To this day what I saw happen in that room still amazes me.

It was as if we were going in reverse order of severity of our disabilities... (from less disabled to more disabled.) But what I heard as each person spoke was… “What’s their problem? They just have…” referring to the person speaking before (less disabled) and referring to someone with a greater disability “If I had their… I couldn’t live…”

What I learned that day is that most of us can only can imagine living in our own “reality”! (In future Blogs I want to explore the consequences of only understanding our own "reality". The effects it has on us as well as the affects it has on those around us.)

Yesterday I received an email informing me that an old friend had suffered a heart attack while driving which resulted in him having an accident. In the accident he suffered a broken hip, back, ribs and other various broken bones. Life is fragile! Our lives can change in a moments notice.

My hope is that this BLOG and the other projects that I am working on can begin to help us all live in a larger “reality”.

My friend is out of ICU, but a long recovery awaits.

1 comment:

Mary Ann Mcfadden said...

Charles, your insights are dazzling. I love the realization that we are all disabled if we can't have the courage to make our dreams come true. That really shakes me out of my lethargy, my egoistic perfectionism. You've achieved a level of clarity and self esteem that's really a wonderful gift to us all.
Oward! I can't wait to read more.