Wednesday, December 10, 2008

(82nd Entry) Irony…

What’s the difference between irony and coincidence? In this case irony happened after the coincidence.

If you look closely at my entry numbers I skip from entry 76 to entry 80 which talked about my Dad passing away. He was 80 years of age and I guess the number was just in my head. At his funeral we shot off 80 rockets, firecrackers in honor of his 80 years. The number 80 was prominent in my mind…

Yesterday I talked to an old friend, a former boss who had lost his father in the summer. It was really good talking to him. It was good talking to someone that was experiencing what I was experiencing… to hear where they were and how they were dealing with the issue.

One of the things we talked about was as our fathers were getting older and sicker; how we could offer and they could receive help. In my blog I’ve talked about this issue as it relates to the issue of disability. There’s so much more to talk about regarding the ability to ask and accept help.

As I say so often the issue of disability affects us all or will at some point in our lives. Whether it’s our age or an accident, illness, etc. or perhaps a family member, a friend… the issue will surface in our lives at some point.

So many of us think that our asking for help is just a burden on others... We sometimes don’t realize what a gift it is to another person.

I’m not amazed with the kindness that has been extended to me during this time. I have wonderful friends and acquaintances. When I got off the phone yesterday with my friend I wrote an email saying that even though we don’t talk often it feels as if it was only yesterday. The people I get to know… really know, have experiences with that transcend time are like this. Time just doesn’t matter.

It’s kind of like that with my Dad. Our experiences transcend time… In some ways they seem light years ago and in other ways they seem like yesterday.

No comments: